A Guide to affordable rehab why Thailand makes the top spot
As we will see, value for money plays a key role in Thailand’s appeal as a viable rehab destination – but there are also non-financial reasons why Thai rehabs stand out even among countries notable for medical tourism. This article will explore Thailand as a suitable location for affordable inpatient drug rehab, examining the country’s mid-range rehab options in the context of the wider rehab market.
Why seek rehab in Thailand?
Luxury vs Affordable Rehab Options
What Inpatient Treatment in an Affordable Rehab centre Entails
Private rehab in Thailand is affordable because the country’s economy allows for lower operating costs. When it comes to treatment quality, however, some rehabs may be compromised. In an effort to save money, it is not unheard of for affordable rehab centres to invest less in maintaining the quantity and quality of their services and foreign staff.
To ensure that you choose a responsible rehab centres in Thailand, it is important to do some research in advance. Yet there is also a set of features that are commonly shared by rehab centres at the lower-to-mid-range price point. These include the following:
Why Dual Diagnosis is Important
The latter point, regarding dual diagnosis, is particularly noteworthy. Addictions generally do not spring out of nowhere; they tend to be accompanied by underlying mental health factors that will persist – often to the point of causing a relapse – if left untreated.
Dual diagnosis treatment programme is specifically designed to address the additional complications that arise when a substance addiction is accompanied by one or more mental health problems. Special familiarity with co-occurring disorders is required to accurately assess and diagnose individual cases, so as to treat them properly.
Anyone who is dealing with drug or alcohol addiction in combination with mental health disorders can benefit from dual diagnosis treatment. It often makes the difference between a successful stay in rehab, and an incomplete rehabilitation care that leaves the door open to continued problems in the future.
When choosing an affordable drug rehab centre that is less comprehensive and less equipped than a standard facility in terms of its treatment options, it is important to carefully weigh the potential cost savings alongside the likely reduction in overall effectiveness for your specific condition.
pros and cons of affordable inpatient rehab
The above information should give a general sense of the kind of services available from affordable inpatient rehab centres. The list below puts the main pros and cons of this price point into perspective:
- Highly affordable, with most rehabs in Thailand charging less than US$10,000 per month
- Cheaper costs let you afford to stay longer, giving you a higher chance of recovery
- Services include full room and board, along with laundry and cleaning
- Basic hotel facilities, but enough to make you feel comfortable (if you’re not too fussy)
- Opportunities for adventure trips or cultural excursions
- Access to standard holistic therapies
- Onsite detox or medical support may be somewhat limited
- Some centres may lack qualified medical professionals to prescribe, dispense, and monitor medications
- Some centres may lack coordinated multidisciplinary services
- Difficulties catering to Western appetites or special dietary needs
- Basic accommodation and minimal amenities may be uncomfortable for some
- Depending on the severity of your addiction and other underlying mental health issues, some centers may not be able to provide a full continuum of care that attends to your specific needs
Should you Seek Treatment at an Affordable Rehab in thailand?
- Do not want to spend extra money on additional “luxury hotel” elements
- Suffer from a mild to moderate addiction that does not require medical detox or constant medical support
- Are comfortable with basic accommodation and amenities
- Do not have complex co-occurring disorders which require a multidisciplinary approach
- Are looking for a casual, homelike environment
A Final Note
“Dual Diagnosis Treatment.” Dual Diagnosis, https://www.dualdiagnosis.org/dual-diagnosis-treatment/.
“Effects of Risky Drinking, Tobacco and Drug Use.” Center on Addiction, 14 Apr. 2017, https://www.centeronaddiction.org/addiction/effects-of-risky-substance-use.